Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Austria Tyrol Mayrhofen Zillertaler Alpenhorn

Well we arrived in Austria safe and sound after 8 hours on the train. This country is a wonder for anyone who has never been around mountain ranges with peaks that look like broken sharks teeth, averaging 6000 to over 9000 feet in height. I will be posting some pictures and videos on Facebook.

Oh yeah, I have been driving one of the two cars we rented! Austrian freeways are similar to ours in many ways, but if you drive through small towns or into the mountains, the roads are narrow and winding. All, and I mean all of the cars here are diesel and normally have manual transmissions. Haven't had to buy fuel yet and I may avoid that experience altogether. 

We are in the Tyrol region of Austria. Today we travelled to the village of Mayrhofen. We took a gondola ride to hiking trails that have a magnificent view of the Zillertalen Alpen. I did some hiking but spent most of my time taking pictures and short videos, hoping that these could make up for my poor powers of description. It is a vertical world here, with villages below and houses and pastures above, separated by thousands of feet of altitude. Your neighbor is more likely to be well above or below you  than next door.

We are staying at Klammsteinhof, a hotel/bed and breakfast well up in the mountains. Lilli's sister Vroni and her husband Hannes Sporer own this wonderful place and maintain a dairy farm as well! If that were not enough they also make prize winning schnapps, sweet liquor and honey. The schnapps I tasted last night will cetainly cure what ails you--it was 80 proof and smelled of apples.

Enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment